I doubt if there is a real conspiracy behind these happenings — they may simply be a fortuitous confluence of events — that could easily lead to a peaceful takeover of our government by less than idealistic people.
- As Republicans won control of more State legislatures and Governorships, they have moved to consolidate their control by rearranging voting districts to ensure that Democratic candidates can’t win.
- As a parallel effort to maintain political control of their States, Republican lawmakers have steadily advanced measures to make it more difficult for poor people and minorities to vote.
- Local and State police forces have become increasingly militarized, replacing “Officer Friendly” with faceless cops hiding behind armored riot gear, shields, masks, water hoses, smoke grenades, tear gas, mace, and deployed via tanks and armored vehicles, thus escalating situations toward violent confrontation rather than peaceful resolution.
- Leaders of the “Religious Right,” largely by infiltrating the Republican Party, have succeeded in insinuating many of their own beliefs into laws, thus encroaching on the freedom of religion guaranteed by the Constitution.
- Republican-run States have lowered educational standards by systematically attempting to substitute the teaching of dogma in the place of science in their schools, while simultaneously eliminating funding for art and music education.
- The rise of the so-called “Tea Party” Republicans has signaled an end to rational governance, resulting in obstructionism, halting any form of progress toward accomplishing National goals.
- By not holding their presidential candidate to any standards of human decency, the Republican Party has given tacit approval to crass hooliganism by members of white-supremacist and other intolerant splinter groups,
- By putting Party above People, the Republican vendetta against all things accomplished during the Obama administration, attacking environmental protections, restraints on egregious financial transactions, careful diplomacy, public education, military restraint, (and the list goes on and on), they have placed the future of our Democracy in serious jeopardy.
The Executive Branch is in disarray, and the President has already moved to decrease the counterbalancing influence of both the Legislative and Judicial Branches. It won’t take much to strip any remaining power from them and to declare autocratic rule.
Is this the result of a conspiracy or just a series of random events that got us to this point? I don’t have an answer, but either way, we live in deeply troubling times.